Do important work every day and be a change maker, at Bridgewater State Hospital!
Bridgewater State Hospital embraces recovery-oriented, trauma-informed care for all persons served.
Here at Wellpath and Bridgewater State Hospital, everything that we do is about taking care of people – our patients, our staff and our partners. We are committed to making a difference by providing hope and healing to vulnerable patients in challenging clinical environments. Our talented, compassionate team thrives in an autonomous environment, is empowered and supported by education, training and the resources to practice healthcare the way it is meant to be and strives to “Always Do The Right Thing!”
About this role
Our Staff Psychiatrist assumes responsibility for the admission, continuing care, and discharge of patients. Provides leadership to the multi-disciplinary treatment team, and participates in performance improvement and other activities as directed by the Senior Psychiatrist.
Bilingual candidates are highly encouraged to apply!
What you bring to the table
Education for Psychiatrist:
- An MD or DO degree from an accredited university.
Experience for Psychiatrist:
- At least one (1) year experience in clinical psychiatry preferred.
Licenses/Certifications for Psychiatrist:
- Licensed in the state of practice.
- Board certified or eligible in psychiatry.
What you will do
- Completes an initial psychiatric assessment within 24 hours of admission. The psychiatrist’s initial assessment includes a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation, mental status examination, assessment for movement disorders secondary to psychotropic medications. The psychiatrist initiates treatment with psychotropic medicines and other available modalities.
- Will review psychotropic medications at a minimum of every 20 days during the first 60 days of admission.
- Will prescribe psychotropic medications per best practices for presenting symptoms. Indications for medications will be stated clearly in progress notes as well as in the orders. Applicable laboratory studies will be done prior to prescribing certain categories of psychotropic medications. Follows up and monitors tests and consultations, provides education regarding medications and their mental illness to the patients and when applicable, their families. Documents ongoing care and discharge readiness. Conducts daily rounds on the unit.
- Completes a summary of treatment including a mental status exam before the one-year anniversary of the patient’s admission. Completes all discharge summaries within 30 days of patient’s discharge.
- Documents completely all services provided in the patient's medical record. Properly documents on patients chart as required applicable Joint Commission and other regulations. Ensures quality and legibility of his/her written orders and progress notes.
- Supervises the overall medical care received by the patients, reviews and oversees the treatment plan process, leads the multi-disciplinary team, supervises appropriate staff and students, and has clinical oversight of unit activities.
- Provides timely and complete reports to the court when requested. Provides court testimony when needed.
- Participates in staff meetings, assigned committees and any additional workgroups.
- Is sensitive to cultural diversity issues, treats patients as individuals, and considers the culture of the patients when providing care and treatment.
- Is knowledgeable about care and treatment needs of patients of different ages. Provides individualized care and treatment that is consistent with/sensitive to the age and life span developmental needs of each patient.
- Continues professional development through in-service education, workshops, conferences and self-study necessary to maintain current knowledge applicable to the position.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of instructions and apply knowledge to different factual situations.
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to details.
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wellpath is an EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability Employer
Our investment in you
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance plan options
- Time off & leave benefits
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental benefits
- Perks and discounts
- And more available here https://wellpathcareers.com/
We encourage you to apply!
If you are excited about a role but your experience doesn’t seem to align perfectly with every element of the job description, we encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for this, or one of our many other roles.